- BREXITLAND: Identity, Diversity and the Reshaping of British Politics
- BREXITLAND: Identity, Diversity and the Reshaping of British Politics
- MPC Webinar: Climate mobilities: Migration, im/Mobilities, and climate change
- Are Agri-Food Workers Only Exploited in Southern Europe?
- Migration Working Group Webinar
- Localising Migration Diplomacy in Africa? Ethiopia in its Regional and International Setting
- We are hiring!
- African and European migration diplomacy: a checklist and suggested future direction
- ‘Covid 19 and Systemic Resilience: What Role for Migrant Workers?’
Register for our online conference on 9 Nov 2020
- The end of the right to seek asylum? : COVID-19 and the future of refugee protection
- Migration Policy Centre (MPC) Annual Report 2019
- ‘Waylaid in Tijuana’, Documentary Virtual Screening
- Covid-19 and the transformation of migration and mobility globally – Why COVID-19 does not necessarily mean that attitudes towards immigration will become more negative
- New MPC research article on migration crises
- Schooling at the Time of COVID: added adversities for second language learners
- Migrants in Spain in the time of COVID-19: challenges and opportunities
- MPC Webinar Series – Watch Online
- New Memorandum of Understanding with the Uganda Council on Foreign Relations
- MPC Annual Report 2019
- Watch latest MPC Webinar on Gender Based Violence and Migration in Times of Covid-19.
- The smaller the better? Migration governance in small and medium-sized towns and rural areas in times of crises
- MPC Webinar: ‘Migration and Development: Revisiting the Migration Hump’
- Dissecting global air traffic data to discern different types and trends of transnational human mobility
- Webinar: Conversations about a post COVID19 World
- Webinar Asylum Governance in Europe: Legal frameworks, adjudication, and new technological challenges
- The long-term closure of schools due to COVID-19: Are we set for a less tolerant future?
- COVID-19 and Reverse Migration in Nepal
- Watch Online: MPC Webinar on ‘Public Attitudes to Migration’
- The Italian Plan for Regularisation: Real progress for migrants’ rights?
- Watch Online: MPC Webinar on ‘‘Migration And Mobility in the EU’
- The Politics of Regularisation of Migrant Labour in Italy
- Stranded: the impacts of COVID-19 in irregular migration and migrant smuggling
- New Book Publication: ‘20 Year Anniversary of the Tampere Programme : Europeanisation Dynamics of the EU area of Freedom, Security and Justice’
- “The less we move, the more we can contain the virus”: How COVID-19 fundamentally alters understandings of mobility and the free movement of people
- 2020 MEDAM Assessment Report ‘European and African perspectives on asylum and migration policy: Seeking common ground’
- Why coronavirus is likely to be bad news for Europe’s radical right
- Watch Online: MPC Webinar on ‘Migration And Mobility in the EU’
- Watch Online: MPC Webinar on ‘The effects of COVID-19 on Mobility and Citizenship’
- MPC Webinar: “Migrant workers under Covid-19 lockdown’’
- The Challenges Faced by Malaysia’s Migrant Workforce during COVID-19 Movement Restrictions
- MPC Webinar: “Rethinking Migrants’ Skills and Labour Immigration Policies”
- Inequality at the Border: How Visa Costs Penalize Citizens of Poor World Regions
- Us Versus Them? Covid-19 and its Effects
- Is There a Link Between Travel and Spread of Covid19?
- MPC Seminar on ‘Search and Rescue’ – available on livestream
- What are Europeans’ Views on Integration of Immigrants?
- The complex relationship between immigrants’ concentration, socioeconomic environment and attitudes towards immigrants in Europe
- EU wide availability of personal data of third country nationals for migration and security purposes – the challenge of ensuring fundamental rights safeguards
- What Drives Public Attitudes to Migration?
Explore with a click the effect of more than 120 indicators
- Latest Information – COVID19
- Europeans’ Preferences for More Restrictive Asylum Policies Linked to Low Trust in EU Institutions
- Understanding Today’s Populism as Ethnic Nationalism
- Interoperability between EU information systems through the lens of impact assessment – what does the evidence say?
- Assessing Visa Costs on a Global Scale
- The Strasbourg court judgement N.D. and N.T. v Spain : a carte blanche to push backs at EU external borders?
- Migration Policy Scoreboard : A Monitoring Mechanism for EU Asylum and Migration Policy
- Victimization and Offending in Mexico: The Three-pronged Security challenges of Trafficking, Kidnapping, and Smuggling
- Public Attitudes to Migration in the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean
- A New Job Opportunity at the MPC – Deadline: 28 February
- BLOG FORUM
Interoperable Information Systems in the EU Area of Freedom, Security and Justice
- Why should we care about the Privacy of Asylum Seekers?
- Interoperability as a Rule of Law Challenge
- Mo’databases, mo’problems?
The EU’s new interoperability systems and enhanced policing of third country nationals
- Interoperability and refugees from a data protection perspective
- Nothing new under the sun?
Interoperability of EU justice and home databases
- Interoperable transitioning rights
Quid of effective legal protection?
- Individuals or ‘bare data’?
Un-owned Data for Interoperable Borders
- Towards interoperable justice
Interoperability and its asymmetry in access rights by EU digital citizens
- A Point of No Return in Purpose Limitation?
Interoperability and the Blurring of Migration and Crime
- Executive Training Seminar on Child Protection in the Migration Context: From Principle to Implementation, 29-30 April 2020, EUI, Florence
- Search-and-Rescue Operations in the Mediterranean: Are they a ‘pull factor’ for sea crossings of migrants?
- The Democratic Case for Immigration in the European Union, a Talk by Rainer Bauböck, 21 January 2020 at 11am
- Blog – Out there on your own: integration without family
- The Migration Working Group, ‘Political Parties and Exploring Discrimination’, 27 January 2020
- MPC Seminar on ‘Borders and Governance’, 11 February 2020
- A Threat from Within? Perceptions of Immigration in an Enlarging European Union
- Work toward integration : labour inclusion of migrants in Mexico
- Public views on asylum and refugee policies similar across European countries
- Blog – A reset of the European Union’s approach to migration?
- Blog – A Turning Tide? Venezuelan Displacement and Migration Governance in Peru
- Sea Rescue NGOs : a pull factor of irregular migration?
- MPC Seminar on “Estimation and Comparison of Unauthorized Migration in Europe and the United States” with Philip Connor, PEW Research Centre, 22 January 2020
- Migration Working Group on ‘Trafficking, Discrimination and Minority Voices’
- What the Essex case tells us about the current state of migrant smuggling from Europe into the UK
- Migration Working Group on ‘Asylum : Legal, Normative and Quantitative Perspectives’, 26 November 2019
- First Mid-Term Conference of the IMISCOE MigPOG Standing Committee: Migration Politics and Governance: Understanding the Relationships, 26-27 March 2020
- MPC Seminar on ‘Radicalization and Nationalism” with Robert Schertzer and Mitja Sardoc, 10 December 2019, Florence
- Rethinking EU migration and asylum policies: Managing immigration jointly with countries of origin and transit
- Migration Research Hub: Migration Research Under One Roof
Now accessible online
- MPC Director joins ceremony to give Keys of Florence City to the actor Richard Gere
- Austria’s snap election: Is the Freedom Party (FPÖ) going to fade away?
- Tampere 20 Year Anniversary – Achievements and Future Priorities for EU Area of Freedom, Security and Justice Agenda
4 October 2019, 13:00 – 15:00
In Brussels and on Live Stream
- MPC Seminar on Asylum and Integration with David Keene and Friedrich Poeschel, 29 October 2019, Florence
- Workshop: Cities and the Global Governance of Migration. An Under-Explored Link, 17-18 October 2019
- Cast in the same mould : how politics during the impressionable years shapes attitudes towards immigration in later life
- Book Launch ‘The Dynamics of Regional Migration Governance’, 30 October 2019, London
- When asylum policies go local : the case of socially-useful works for asylum-seekers
- MPC Seminar on ‘Migration, Citizenship and Public Perceptions’, 19 November 2019
- Rethinking EU Migration and Asylum Policies: Managing Immigration Jointly with Countries of Origin and Transit, 16 October 2019, Brussels
- The Austrian Parliamentary Elections 2019: Are Austrians Anti-immigrant?
- Reciprocity in welfare institutions and attitudes to free movement in EU receiving countries
- Measuring Changes in Ethnic Diversity Over Time: The Historical Index of Ethnic Fractionalization Dataset (HIEF)
- MPC Seminar with Linda Oucho and Annick-Laure Tchuendem, 16 October 2019
- Book Launch ‘The Dynamics of Regional Migration Governance’, Wednesday 30 October, London
- Refuge beyond Reach: How Rich Democracies Repel Asylum Seekers, Seminar with David Fitzgerald, 15 October 2019
- Ethnicity and neighbourhood attainment in England and Wales: A study of second generations’ spatial integration
- Barriers to free movement in Africa: How to remove them?
- Mobility hub or hollow? Cross-border travelling in the Mediterranean, 1995–2016
- Are ethnic minorities in the UK spatially integrating?
- Seminar with Dominik Hangartner and Anne-Marie Jeannet, 17 September 2019
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow for the MEDAM Project
- Workshop: The Swinging of the Pendulum? Centre-Right Parties in a Post-Migration Crisis Europe, 7 October 2019
- Venezuelans are the first nationality of asylum seekers worldwide, but South American countries do not recognise them as refugees. Why?
- EU external migration policies in an era of global mobilities : intersecting policy universes
- Call for Papers: Migration Working Group 2019-2020
- On the road to integration? Immigrants’ demand for informal (& formal) education
- Constitutionalising the External Dimensions of EU Migration Policies in Times of Crisis
- What is happening on the US-MX Border, what is likely to happen and how you can help
- Public opinion on migrants: The effect of information and disinformation about EU policies
- Migration studies: from dehumanising to decolonising
- How Issue Salience Explains the Rise of the Populist Right in Western Europe
- Decision-Making Processes and the (Non) Politicisation οf Migration in Sicily
- International student flows from developing countries : do donors have an impact?
- Reflections on the Global Compact on Migration from an African perspective
- An Appraisal of the European Commission of Crisis
- Second generations’ education and labour market outcomes in England and Wales
- The Greying of Europe and Public Opinion about Immigration
- Seminar: Exploring legal and political dynamics of migration governance in Europe, 7 May 2019
- Workshop: Migration between Africa and Europe: The Role of Foreign Aid and Labour Migration, 13 May 2019, Rome
- If mayors ruled migration: Promises and gaps
- Critical insights on irregular migration facilitation : global perspectives
- When do populist radical right parties succeed? Salience, stigma, and the case of the end of Iberian ‘exceptionalism’
- The Dynamics of Regional Migration Governance
- Follow us on live stream
Europe’s turning point on migration? Politics, policy and predictions ahead of the 2019 elections, 7 may 2019
- Integration policies should not pursue migration-control goals
- How are attitudes towards immigrants in Europe shaped by regional contexts?
- Public attitudes on migration: rethinking how people perceive migration
- Migration Conditionality in EU external funding, an interview with Prof. Andrew Geddes
- Seminar: On the causes and effects of attitudes to immigration, 18 May
- Migration Working Group – Governing Religion and Addressing Violent Radicalisation: Empirical and Theoretical Insights, 28 May 2019
- Book Launch: The Dynamics of Regional Migration Governance, 1 July 2019
- ECSR Workshop: The dynamics of neighbourhood segregation, 11 April 2019
- Mobility/Immobility and Humanitarianism – Migration Working Group, April 30
- Fighting myths about immigration? Facts and evidence are not enough.
- What Agenda for the Next European Parliament?
Policy Papers – Special Edition
- National Institutions and the Fiscal Effects of EU Migrants
- Foreign assistance and emigration : accounting for the role of non-transferred aid
- Immigrant naturalisation, employment and occupational status in western Europe
- Making sense of the refugee crisis : governance and politicisation of asylum-seekers’ reception in Northern Italy
- 15th Migration Summer School
Bridging the gaps: Connecting research, public debates and policy-making on migration
Florence, 24 June – 5 July 2019
- Fit for purpose? The Facilitation Directive and the criminalisation of humanitarian assistance to irregular migrants
- What is the Global Compact for Migration and why are countries opposing it?
- Using EU aid to address the root causes of migration and refugee flows
- Migration and the ‘rise of the right’ in South America: Is there an increasing anti-immigration sentiment in the Southern Cone?
- A Rising Tide? The Salience of Immigration and the Rise of Anti‐Immigration Political Parties in Western Europe
- Policing Humanitarianism: EU Policies Against Human Smuggling and their Impact on Civil Society
- Migration Working Group – Labour Market Integration of Migrants and Refugees, 26 March 2019
- Contesting the deportation state? Political change aspirations in protests against forced returns
- City Networks and the Multilevel governance of migration. Policy discourses and actions
- Blog post: Why Are Sicilian Mayors Leading the Opposition to Salvini’s Asylum Policies in Italy?
- MPC Seminar: Exploring global travel data: methodological challenges and substantive insights, 22 January 2019
- Evaluating the “Salvini Decree”: doubts of constitutional legitimacy
- Seminar: Exploring the dynamics of international migration governance in South America, North America and Europe, 19 February 2019
- Seminar: Towards a methodology for assessing the effects of asylum policies on asylum flows, 12 February 2019.
- MPC Seminar: All that glitters is not gold: The limits of progressive refugee protection in Latin America, 15 January 2019
- Can Labour Immigration Work for Refugees?
- The experiences of women on the migration pathway – and the stories we tell ourselves
- Seminar: Migrants strategies for mobility: education and smuggling, 9 April 2019
- Migration Working Group – Parties, Attitudes and Migration, 29 January 2019
- Migration Working Group – Micro-governance of migration, 26 February 2019
- The Migration Policy Centre Annual Conference, 23-24 May 2019
Migration between Africa and Europe: knowledge production, attitudes, and governance
- Save the Date
15th Migration Summer School, 25 June – 5 July 2019
- Seminar: Multilevel Governance of Migration, 13 November 2018
- Migration Working Group – Trans-Asia as method: de-westernising, de-nationalising and de-academicising knowledge production in Asia, 16 October 2018
- How does Trump’s anti-refugee policy affect the EU?
- Bridging the Gaps: Linking Research to Public Debates and Policy Making on Migration and Integration
- The governance of migration and diversity in cities
- Brazil elections 2018: how will Bolsonaro’s victory affect migration policy in Brazil and South America?
- Beyond Smuggling: Tunisia’s on-the-ground responses and perspectives to EU’s counter-smuggling practices, 14 January 2019
- Foreign assistance and migration choices : disentangling the channels
- Transnational Terrorism and Restrictive Immigration Policies, 9 October 2018
- Children and irregular migration practices : missing children or missing data?
- Reforming Europe’s refugee policies: Austrian-Danish plan will not work
- A new job opportunity at MPC
- EU-Africa Migration: The Role of Aid and Labour Migration, 3 December 2018, Brussels
- Missing migrant children and families: Expert meeting on migrant deaths and disappearances
- Welcome to MPC new staff members and visitors.
- Call for a science-based approach to policies on immigration
- The Politics of European Union Migration Governance
- Labor immigration programmes in high-income countries: variations across political regimes and varieties of capitalism
- The impact of youth labour market experiences on later employment opportunities : what roles do ethnicity and gender play?
- The impact of foreign aid on migration revisited
- International Conference, Buenos Aires, 3-4 October 2018
and on Facebook live stream
- The Migration Working Group 2018-2019
- New and improved OPAM 2.0
- First UNODC Global Study on Smuggling of Migrants
- Flexible Solidarity: A comprehensive strategy for asylum and immigration in the EU – 2018 MEDAM Assessment report on asylum and migration policies in Europe
- “National institutions vs common EU policies?” The politics of ‘free movement’ in the EU
- Beyond the headlines: family separations along the US Southern border
- “REGISTRATION OPEN – International Conference on ‘Crisis of Governability? The politics of migration governance in Latin America & Europe’.
- Limits of Solidarity? Narratives and Attitudes towards Migration
State of the Union, 10 May 2018
- ‘The national vs the foreigner in South America. 200 years of migration and citizenship law’: Book Launch on 2 July.
- Seminar on 22 June “Temporary labour migration and the UN Global Compact for Migration: from guest workers to immigrants”, by Professor Philip Martin (UC Davis)
- Five misconceptions about migrant smuggling
- Beyond ‘Coyotes’: Current Trends in the Facilitation of Irregular Migration in Latin America
- Ethnicity and Neighborhood in England and Wales
- Cross Migration, H2020 project, “Towards Systematic Knowledge Accumulation in Migration Studies”
- Metropolis International Steering Committee meeting and seminar ‘Contemporary realities and dynamics of migration in Italy’, 12-13 April 2018
- Highlights from the Migration Policy Centre’s Annual Conference
- The Role of European Mobility and its Impacts in Narratives, Debates and EU Reforms.
- Call for papers – ‘Crisis of Governability? The politics of migration governance in Latin America & Europe’
- Does ethnic concentration influence gender role views? A study across ethnic groups in England and Wales
- Brexit and the perils of ‘Europeanised’ migration
- Understanding rural migration in Tunisia
- Giving evidence on attitudes to migration at the European Parliament
- New Publication “The Future of the Schengen Area: Latest Developments and Challenges in the Schengen Governance Framework since 2016”
- The Special Eurobarometer on Integration of Immigrants in the European Union: An initial reaction
- High-level seminar: Contemporary realities and dynamics of migration in Italy
- Migrant Smuggling as a Collective Strategy and Insurance Policy: Views from the Margins
- 14th Migration Summer School
- Call for abstracts: 2018 International Academic Conference on Organized Crime and Gender
- Film Series on Migration, Inclusion and Diversity
March – June 2018
- Roundtable on Migration and the Future of Britain, 28 February, London
- Kick off work shop of the Global Mobilities Project, 26th February 2018
- “From Market Integration to core state powers: the Eurozone crisis, the refugee crisis and integration” – A seminar by Philipp Genschel, 19 February 2018
- Why immigration has the potential to upend the Italian election
- The Future of Europe as a Cultural Fact – A Conversation with Arjun Appadurai, 31 January 2018, EUI
- The Global Mobilities Project
- Area of Freedom, Security and Justice: the untapped potential
- Conference – The Ethics of Migration beyond the Immigrant-Host State Nexus, 11-12 January 2018, EUI
- The Theory of Change and Response : A New Agenda for Research on Population and Development in Africa, by Professor Yves Charbit, 19 December 2018, EUI
- The Drivers of the Brexit Vote: What we know so far, by Professor Matthew Goodwin
- Three questions to experts on Migration in the Mediterranean region
- The Drivers of the Brexit Vote: What we know so far, by Professor Matthew Goodwin, 4 December 2018, EUI
- Prospects for International Migration Governance
- MPC-UNODC Workshop: When smuggling goes wrong, 26-27 October 2017
- New Observatory of Public Attitudes to Migration (OPAM)
- The Yves Mény Annual Lecture: The Drivers of Migration Governance, by Andrew Geddes, 28 September 2017, EUI
- Call for papers – The Ethics of Migration
- Launch of the Observatory of Public Attitudes to Migration, 20 September 2017, Brussels
- Andrew Geddes: Shifting attitudes to migration starts with trusted political leaders
- Launch of a new study on unaccompanied and separation children in Jordan, Lebanon and Greece
- Workshop: Dimension of Migration to/from/in Central Asia, 5-6 June 2017, European University Institute, Florence
- Thinking beyond the crisis: Future governance of migration in Europe, 20 June 2017, CEPS, Brussels
- Workshop on Culture and Migration: An empirical approach, 13 June 2017, Turin
- Conference: The Dynamics of Regional Migration Governance, 25-26 May 2017, European University Institute, Florence
- Presentation of the first MEDAM Asylum and Migration Report at the Think 20 Summit GLOBAL SOLUTIONS, 29-30 May 2017, Berlin
- 2017 MEDAM Assessment Report launched
- The MPC hosts its XIII Migration Summer School
- Technical meeting of the Observatory of Public Attitudes to Migration (OPAM), 22 May 2017, European University Institute, Florence
- High-level public event
Thinking beyond the crisis: Labour migration and mobility in the Euro-Mediterranean region 19 May 2017, Istituto Affari Internazionali, Rome
- Interviews with MPC new Director Andrew Geddes
- The State of the Union: Building a People’s Europe, 4-6 May 2017, Florence
- International Workshop on Human Smuggling, 6-7-8 April 2017, University of Texas at El Paso (USA)
- Identifying challenges and developing action strategies for European asylum and migration-related policies
- Call for Applications: XIII Migration Summer School – Beyond the Crisis
- Forget all you think you know about human smuggling. The human smugglers roundtable is back.
- REDIAL: Third European Synthesis Report
- A set of statistical variables and interactive maps related to youth rural migration in Tunisia
- New job opportunity:
Programme Director of the Migration Policy Centre (Chair in Migration Studies, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies)
- New event:
Forum on Migration, Citizenship and Demography, Conference on Demography