High-level seminar: Contemporary realities and dynamics of migration in Italy, EUI, Florence
This High Level Seminar, organised within the framework of the Metropolis International Steering Committee (ISC) Spring meeting at the European University Institute, analyses the contemporary dynamics of migration to Italy and Europe in the context of the EU ‘migration crisis’. It focuses on understanding immigration and asylum policies in Italy and the challenges it faces from both a comparative and international perspective. The seminar provides scope for interaction with academics, officials and political leaders from local, regional and national level in Italy and the European Union, as well as representatives of international organisations and civil society.
Time: 13 April 2018 9.45 – 17.30
Place: Theatre, Badia Fiesolana, EUreI
Power point presentations:
- The many systems of asylum seekers’ reception in Italy. Challenges, opportunities and constraints for cities Tiziana Caponio, Department of Cultures, Politics and Society (University of Turin) and Collegio Carlo Alberto
- Understanding Attitudes to Immigration in Italy Today James Dennison, Observatory of Public Attitudes to Migration, Migration Policy Centre, EUI
- Integration of migrants at city level Alessandra Venturini, Migration Policy Centre, MEDAM, University of Turin
- An overview of irregular migration trends in Europe Jon Simmons, Deputy Director for Migration and Border Analysis, UK Home Office A & I Directorate
- Transit migration in Turkey: being between Europe and elsewhere in the last forty years & today Ahmet İçduygu, Koç University
Photo, Audio and Video recording may take place during this event for the purpose of creating awareness and distributing information on the event.
Simultaneous translation Italian-English is provided during the seminar.