Effective migration management: putting policy into action
The third edition of this executive training course aims at developing and strengthening migration management skills and it provides a unique opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of migration both in its theoretical subtleties and as a very practical subject. This course provides officers and practitioners working in the field of migration with a holistic approach, looking at the issue of migration management from different perspectives and across different key themes in order to share knowledge and upgrade key expertise.
Throughout the training the different stages of migration management will be explored including managing evidence, examining decision making processes, and implementation. The training combines insights from migration theory and empirical research, with knowledge about challenges and opportunities arising from political processes, and practical perspectives that occur at the operational level. Furthermore, it will teach participants how to develop and apply migration management approaches from the level of policy design to implementation, considering operational constraints and opportunities. By the end of the training participants will have developed a sophisticated understanding of the complexities, challenges, and trade-offs of migration management.
The detailed schedule and full overview of learning activities, will be available soon.
By the end of this programme, the participants will be able to:
- Shift perspectives and effectively construct a holistic approach to migration management;
- Define the dynamics of different policy pillars and policy stages and to identify the interlinkages between these different policy pillars and stages;
- Incorporate insights about dynamics of migration and migration governance into policy design and practice;
- Comprehend migration policy objectives, potential, and limitations in order to put policy into action.
- Knowledge transfer sessions led by accomplished practitioners and academics;
- Mixing theoretical approaches and practical examples in three different key areas of migration management;
- Active exchange in interactive training sessions and group work, focused on the analysis of migration, migration policy, and implementation dynamics;
- Policy case assignments working on operational assignments;
- Peer-learning setting with professionals with different backgrounds and roles in migration management.
Who should attend
- Migration officers / civil servants working on migration and asylum policy;
- Political consultants working on migration management;
- Professionals working in International Organisations and NGOs focusing on migration management;
- Journalists and communication professionals who want to learn more about migration in its different aspects;
- Other individuals aiming to acquire migration management skills.
Information for applicants
- The training course will take place in a fully residential mode on 9, 10 & 11 October 2023. Selected applicants will be expected to be present on the EUI campus in Florence, Italy on the days of the training;
- The programme will include approximately 17 hours of in-session training;
- Participants will be enrolled to our Virtual Learning Environment (Brightspace) in order to access the materials of the course. Some pre-training readings might be necessary.
Andrew Geddes (Full-time Professor, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies);
Lorenzo Piccoli (Research Fellow, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies);
Leila Hadj Abdou (Part-time Assistant Professor, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies);
Giulio Di Blasi (Member of Cabinet, DG HOME, European Commission);
Martin Ruhs (Full-time Professor, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies);
James Dennison (Part-time Professor, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies).
Fee: 1.400 €;
Early bird and groups: 1.260 € [ -10%];
Affiliation price: 1.190 € [ -15%];
The Early-Bird discount (10%) is applicable for registrations by 02 July 2023 – 23:59 CEST. The same discount is applicable for groups (more than three people).
The affiliation discount (15%) applies to NGO staff, national civil servants and EU officials (from EU institutions and bodies), international organisations, as well as EUI alumni, and former paying participants of STG courses.
The course is eligible to be taken as part of the “Executive Certificate in European and Transnational Governance” with 20% discount on the total fee. Find out more.
The lunches and coffee breaks during the residential part of the programme, as well as social activities will be provided from the EUI. The fee does not cover travel and accommodation. Our events team can assist you in finding the best options for stay in the city.
We encourage early registrations for this course as places are given on a rolling basis.
Marina Vlachodimitropoulou (Project Associate, School of Transnational Governance).
09/09/2023 – 23:59 CEST.